+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Dubai Scam?

guymichaels

New Dubai Scam?

Moderator Note: Post edited to remove identity, email and address for the poster. Scammers and other criminals do visit this site and could use the information. Garreg Ddu.

Hi. I was contacted by someone claiming to be from UAE. He wanted to buy a piece from my website. He wants to use a shipping company that I can't seem to confirm the identity of. The shipping company has also sent me emails. Can you help me determine if the shipping company is legit? The shipping co. wants payment through Western Union. The buyer's credit card payment went through fine, and I have those funds already in my bank account. The credit card used a billing address in UAE, so the name matched the address, which is where the piece is suppose to be sent. But is this a scam? the emails from the buyer and the shipper are below:

Hello
    With the help of the internet the world is a global village as i am replying your email i am on the oil rig on the ocean.
    You can contact this delivery company with the weight of the piece, the pick up address and the delivery address, they do door to door delivery and its owned by one of the royal families in dubai.
    Send an email to [emiratesdelivery@deliveryman.com] lets compare the shipping prices and with them my collegue just told my the custom charges will be reduced, they charge crazy custom charges here.
    Kindly get back to me as soon as possible because this is my wife's christmas present, she loves artwork and its a suprise.
    Thanks

--- On Thu, 17/12/09, *********** <***********@comcast.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: good to hear from you
    To: "peter williams" <petwilliamr20@yahoo.com>
    Date: Thursday, 17 December, 2009, 17:27

Yes, the one you want is $975. I've checked shipping costs at DHL ($250-no arrival date given) and UPS ($275- arrives by Dec. 23) ($292- arrives by Dec. 21). USPS express is 6 days and costs $60, or USPS Global Express 1-3 days guaranteed is $207.

G**
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: [***********@comcast.net]
    Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:06 PM
    Subject: good to hear from you

Hey
    I hope you still have this one Fiddleback Walnut & Ebony. Dia- 8 1/2? Shipping with USPS will take forever.
    Check with UPS or DHL.
    Thanks

--- On Thu, 17/12/09, [***********@comcast.net] <***********@comcast.net> wrote:

From: [***********@comcast.net] <***********@comcast.net>
    Subject: Re: order
    To: "peter williams" <petwilliamr20@yahoo.com>
    Date: Thursday, 17 December, 2009, 17:03

Dear Peter:
    Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the piece you are interested in is no longer available. To see the pieces that are currently available, please visit my newer website: [http://www.alabasterdesignsby***********.com/id30.html]
    Anything you see there that does not have a 'sold' sign on it is for sale. I do accept mastercard and visa, and for a piece the size you are referring to, the shipping costs will be approximately $60 by USPS. I also offer custom pieces, but they take 4 to 6 weeks to make. If there is another piece you are interested in, please let me know.

Sincerely,
    650-281-3062
    [http://www.alabasterdesignsby***********.com/id30.html]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: [***********@comcast.net]
    Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:06:31 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
    Subject: order

Hello,
    I have visited your website and i am very impressed by the wonderful pieces you have on display. I will like to buy this piece:
    7– Salmon Utah Torché Bowl.
    Bocote & Maple.
    I will like to know how much this costs and the shipping cost to this address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St Abu Dhabi, UAE and also if you accept mastercard as a method of payment.
    Kindly get back to me asap.
    Best Regards

Email from Shipper:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Emirates Delivery Service, we are sorry for the delay in replying to your enquiry,we have a backlog of emails at the moment as we are upgrading our web page, we guarantee safe delivery of orders to our customers within 2 to 3 working days.

The shipment will cover door to door service and our charges are inclusive of Custom Duties, insurance and handling without any extra charges at the point of delivery.

For the pieces of that weight and measurement from *** D****** St., ***********, California, 9**** USA to 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St. Abu Dhabi, UAE.

The delivery will attract a sum of $200USD and this also covers any custom charges at the point of delivery in Abu Dhabi, we will give a professional cushioning service, so you dont even need to move a finger, all will be done by us.
    Our method of payment at the moment is via western union money transfer due to the website upgrading.

As soon as the MTCN is confirmed by our pick up team we will arrange the pick up in less than 24hours and we shall let you have the payment information as soon as you are ready for the shipment.

With us your delivery is guaranteed.
    Yours Truly
    David Smith

Customer Service Department
    Emirates Delivery
    Corporate Headquarters
    100 Bold Street Liverpool
    L1 4JA United Kingdom

-----Original Message-----
    To: [emiratesdelivery@deliveryman.com]
    Cc: peter williams <petwilliamr20@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Fri, Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am
    Subject: Shipping to Dubai, UAE

Dear Deliveryman Rep:
    Could you please advise me on shipping costs for a box (16"x16"x12") that is 5 lbs., and a value of $975? The box will be shipping from *** D****** St., ***********, California, 9**** USA to 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St Abu Dhabi, UAE.

Thank you,
    Last edited by Garreg Ddu; 12-25-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Security

This is a SCAM!

The shipping company does not exist. Checking the address in the UK has revealed that there is no such business registered, the address postcode is wrong and the actual location is a retail market arcade.

What is probably happening is that the funds you have been sent are on a stolen credit card or one that has been set up using a stolen identity. The funds will be reclaimed eventually by the card issuer or bank when the fraud is discovered. You will have sent off your goods, the payment by Western Union will be untraceable and unrecoverable and you will be out of pocket by the value of the goods and the WU transfer, and potentially liable to prosecution for fraud yourself.

If you have the headers for the emails, please post them here! Please check out the threads at How to find email headers and Basic email header analysis tools - a short tutorial for how to do this.

Please stop communicating with the scammers, as they will try very hard to make you pay money to them. A full report with all the emails and other evidence should be made to your bank and your local police fraud unit, as this will help you to avoid being implicated if the fraud is prosecuted.
    Last edited by Garreg Ddu; 12-25-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Factual Correction
    Stipendia enim peccati mors sunt.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" : Guillelmus de Occam

Do not annoy the Dragonsfor you are small and crunchy and good with Ketchup.

gallery

Angry Peter Williams / Abu Dhabi Scam

We have been extremely unfortunate to discover that we have also been scammed by 'Peter Williams' and 'First Direct Express'. Unfortunately we didn't think to actually google 'Mr. Peter Williams' address (which led us to this site) until after the shipping transaction.
    Below is some of the correspondance we have had. He is obviously the operator of the fraudulant shipping company as well (First Direct Express). Peter William will scam all sorts of produce / online companies. His prey is small businesses that will go out of their way for the sale. He concentrates on the product / sale distracting you from the shipping scam. Most companies pay for shipping separately and then charge the client with the entire sum including the shipping and he knows this.
    Signs:
    First Direct Express is a phoney website, it looks legit but they have been very clever to disable the 'contact' icon and appologize that their site is down due to web maintenance.
    First Direct Express will only take a Western Union Money Order.
    The phone number he will give you will be +9744522736 (this area code does not exist).
    The stolen Fake credit card details he will give you will be: MasterCard
    Expiry Date
    06/2010
    Cvv

MasterCard
    Expiry Date
    06/2010
    Cvv
    Quoting peter williams <petwilliamr20@yahoo.com>:

Hello,
    I have visited your website and i am very impressed by the collections you have on display. I will like to buy this piece:
    "..................." I will like to know how much this cost and the shipping cost to this address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut StAbu Dhabi, UAE and also if you accept mastercard as a method of payment.
    Best Regards,
    Peter Williams

Hey,
    With the help of the internet the world is a global village as i am replying your email i am on the oil rig on the ocean.You can contact this delivery company with the weight of the piece, the pick up address and the delivery address, they do door to door delivery and its owned by one of the royal families in dubai.
    Send an email to [firstdireexpress@post.com] lets compare the shipping prices and with them my colleague just told me the custom charges will be reduced.
    Kindly get back to me as soon as possible.
    Thanks
    Peter Williams

Quoting peter williams [firstdireexpress@post.com]
    Dear Customer,
    Thank you for choosing First Direct Express, we are sorry for the delay in replying to your enquiry,we have a backlog of emails at the moment as we are upgrading our web page, we guarantee safe delivery of orders to our customers within 2 to 3 working days.

The shipment will cover door to door service and our charges are inclusive of Custom Duties, insurance and handling without any extra charges at the point of delivery.

For the piece of that weight from Nanaimo, British Columbia V9R 5G8 Canada to 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St. Abu Dhabi, UAE.

The delivery will attract a sum of $400USD and this also covers any custom charges at the point of delivery in Abu Dhabi, we will handle the crating and a professional cushioning service, so you dont even need to move a finger, all will be done by us.
    Our method of payment at the moment is via western union money transfer due to the website upgrading.

As soon as the MTCN is confirmed by our pick up team we will arrange the pick up in less than 24hours and we shall let you have the payment information as soon as you are ready for the shipment.

With us your delivery is guaranteed.
    Yours Truly
    David Smith

Customer Service Department
    First Direct Express Post
    Corporate Headquarters
    100 Bold Street Liverpool
    L1 4JA United Kingdom

Hello
    Wow, thats going to save me some money, yes i will use First Direct Express
    Thanks
    Peter Williams

The communication goes on, 'First Direct Express' uses detailed emails like any shipping would.
    PLEASE BE AWARE - We wish there was another way to inform companies of this scam artist.
    Last edited by Garreg Ddu; 01-15-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Security + note highlight

dth

scam

This is the header from the email order I received:
    Hello,
    How are you doing today? I am still waiting to hear from you about the shipping of this piece:Curley maple table to my address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St. Abu Dhabi, UAE.
    Kindly get back to me please.
    Many Thanks

from mail-hub-d.omnis.com (mail-hub-d.omnis.com [216.239.128.244]) by balmung.omnis.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 54AB51F851 for
    ; Wed, 6 Jan 2010 01:55:28 +0000 (GMT)
    from n22.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com (n22.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com [87.248.110.139]) by mail-hub-d.omnis.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 53FC73EB2BE for <info@buckheadwoodcrafters.com>; Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:55:26 -0800 (PST)
    from n22.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com (n22.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com [87.248.110.139]) by mail-hub-d.omnis.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 53FC73EB2BE for <info@buckheadwoodcrafters.com>; Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:55:26 -0800 (PST)
    from [87.248.110.206] by t2.bullet.ukl.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Jan 2010 01:55:25 -0000
    from [127.0.0.1] by omp236.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Jan 2010 01:55:25 -0000
    ymail-3
    [248325.59850.bm@omp236.mail.ukl.yahoo.com]
    (qmail 11239 invoked by uid 60001); 6 Jan 2010 01:55:25 -0000
    v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1262742925; bh=QcX/ulPvSU5VultNjAC5pWR4elUb0OWwm7+6Bozpv8Y=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=j+V6+cdTuc4gJQzjF/UOeU7n1x6AornBLMgSjoEIDNW+Az51y+pCgpknkbtDpcOwqA65 TQFUAsVa0F0HTNRkHdn0XMKyQj10SJrcQkV+id4ZjGHfr/+fdYHqxLiLxcCxoC7Tusre4ZtMo8sbH3eICWiCbKnOIz+K+SdS 7UQu84s=
    a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=E4cdhe3XR0IFOpnTuLkAIONFu9ZG/Omm81PxWBCHR6k69/YAS+P69MW94DRROGAGncgwO1iHKPKOF87U08ZKXqCu1vyeEMb2 5vnXlnpskwzhgACFYq0CUJ/S1UZFeKejEZWMgA2XaQIyoHIHS+dowb7u6ae0Lo69WPByd6px+ Hg=;
    <24075.11182.qm@web29216.mail.ird.yahoo.com>
    Lc2xr1QVM1nIi6U5gfjKv0W4mc.5NkpPml0Yb_mxDsazo2I7wG wKNlw3uWn60kWgR0bWScld8isF34j2uo.0RLxryG339mihhFM_ BYx64_81LN1Y2vs3kaL2cO6GVxrp.ix7Fnkpd8sUwDdlCm0q05 Pd0UcyvF8Cg05tMNzzc5Emaz3vWWKuKTfCvKnhB2DQpA7uiryb 0m6VIR93X7BhEx_hDNCl7_xNZJcoQPPLuEl.dt87iz4yo7IfqS T1dg--
    from [82.132.136.198] by web29216.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 05 Jan 2010 17:55:24 PST
    YahooMailRC/240.3 YahooMailWebService/0.8.100.260964
    Last edited by Garreg Ddu; 01-15-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Smilies & Security

Quote Originally Posted by dth View Post
    This is the header from the email order I received:

from [82.132.136.198] by web29216.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 05 Jan 2010 17:55:24 PST
    Analysis of the header shows:

Origin IP Address = 82.132.136.198 = O2 UK Service Operations Role, 354 Buckingham Avenue, Slough, Berkshire, United Kingdom SL1 4PF

Many thanks to guest "dth" for posting the headers for us to analyse.

More information

We have received more information via private communication from the original poster of the thread, with headers for analysis. With reference to the posts above, we have:

for the email at:
    Quote Originally Posted by guymichaels View Post
    Hello
    With the help of the internet the world is a global village as i am replying your email i am on the oil rig on the ocean.
    You can contact this delivery company with the weight of the piece, the pick up address and the delivery address, they do door to door delivery and its owned by one of the royal families in dubai.
    Send an email to [emiratesdelivery@deliveryman.com] lets compare the shipping prices and with them my collegue just told my the custom charges will be reduced, they charge crazy custom charges here.
    Kindly get back to me as soon as possible because this is my wife's christmas present, she loves artwork and its a suprise.
    Thanks
    Received: from [82.132.248.99] by web23405.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 17 Dec 2009 23:18:06 GMT

Origin IP Address = 82.132.248.99 = O2 UK Service Operations Role, 354 Buckingham Avenue, Slough, Berkshire, United Kingdom, SL1 4PF

A further header, for the latest entry in the first post gives:

Received: from [82.132.139.34] by web23402.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:51:11 GMT

Origin IP Address = 82.132.139.34 = O2 UK Service Operations Role, 354 Buckingham Avenue, Slough, Berkshire, United Kingdom, SL1 4PF

which is the same origin as before. The slight difference in the IP Address is because the mobile computer link gets a new address via DHCP every time it is switched on and connected.

the new dubai scam continues

Just want to thank you for confirming my gut feel on an e-mail I received. Keep up the good work. I have not answered, of course, and am sure I won't hear from this same person again. Here is the body of the e-mail from [jonassmith68@yahoo.com]:

Hello
    i will be glad if you can let me know if you have the listed below artwork in your gallery and thier price.the artworks are for my parent they are celebrating thier 35th Wedding anniversary in Abu Dhabi this month and i have decide to to use your artwork as part of gifts for them.

"Connections"
    Fused glass with metal stand
    15-1/2 inches in diameter

I will like to know how much this cost and the shipping cost to this address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St
    Abu Dhabi, UAE and also if you accept mastercard or Visa for charging as a method of payment.

Best Regards
    jonas smith

Thumbs down Dubai scam

Here is the email we received. Thankfully we decided to research and found out this is indeed a scam. The person used a different name, (Dennis Mills) but the same address as mentioned in this thread. Here is the original email we received:

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:59 PM

Subject: order

Hello,
    I have visited your website and i am very impressed by the wonderful pieces you have on display. I will like to buy this piece:

Wood Duck
    135 pieces, 17 woods
    11" x 14"
    I will like to know how much this costs and the shipping cost to this address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St Abu Dhabi, UAE and also if you accept mastercard as a method of payment.
    Best Regards

Here is the second email we received after we responded to the first email and said we have no inventory of the piece requested.

Good to hear from you you, let me know if you have available peice in your inventory, your works are really lovely.
    I am using it as a birthday present for my wife, i look forward to hearing from you asap.
    Thanks

Now the third email we received after we sent out a picture of a piece we had in inventory.

My wife's birthday is on the 15th of december, look into the shipping via DHL express delivery, i will make the payment as soon as i have the exact shipping cost from DHL i look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards

We decided to see for ourselves how much shipping would be through DHL. DHL required a zipcode so we put the address out on Google to search and came up with different emails about scams.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks,
    <removed - please do not post any private information here. Scammers do visit us and use what they can find>
    Last edited by Zzbyrd; 11-28-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: removed poster's name

rye guy

I was approached too

Hello.

I have gotten very similar emails from a Kuwait address.

Thanks for the insight into this scam. I was going to send off my painting, and this saved me.

Ryan

+ Reply to Thread