Beware of Money transfer scam

Discussion in 'General Information' started by Dororo, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Dororo

Dororo Administrator Staff Member

What is Money Transfer Scam? Here are the statements heard by individuals who unknowingly
    became involved in criminal activities…

CASE 1. Email Job Offer
    “I received an unexpected job offer by email. It claimed that my task was to receive money and transfer it to a designated bank account, keeping a cut myself. It was so tempting that I immediately signed up for it. When I transferred the funds overseas, however, I had my bank account frozen as the bank suspected me of making illegal transactions.â€

CASE 2. Job-search Website
    “I found a job on the job-search website, which requires me to “assist Japanese customers to transfer money overseas.†One day, I received a transfer request, and several hundred thousand yen was paid into my bank account soon thereafter. I then remitted the money overseas using money transfer services, minus a commission payment. When I went over the story with my friend, he said “it sounds like a scam.†I got frightened and tried to quit the job by emailing, but another several hundred thousand yen was paid again in my account.â€

Don’t get caught by money mule * scams!

The money you transferred may be crime proceeds from, for example, illegal online banking access.

Once you wire such money to the designated account via money transfer services, you will risk criminal prosecution being as a money mule*.

(*Money mules†are the “middlemen†who serve for proceeds of crime.)

IGNORANCE IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE EXCUSE.

If the offer seems “too good to be true,†then it probably is. Do not engage in any criminal activities at all events. If you think you are already be part of money mule scams or find any job adverts of similar kind, please contact Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

You can find out more information about cybercrimes and how to avoid being a victim of the scams on the following website:
    http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/haiteku/index.htm