Importing pets into the UK: What you should know

Discussion in 'Animal Scams' started by Hua Mulan, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hua Mulan

    Hua Mulan Administrator Staff Member

    The import of pet animals into the United Kingdom is highly regulated by the PETS Travel Scheme and different conditions will apply, depending on the type of animal and origin country. Please refer to the following fact sheets for details;

    Factsheet 1 - Introduction to the European Regulation on the movement of pet animals

    Factsheet 3 - European Union countries - dogs & cats

    Factsheet 4 - Non European Union countries - dogs & cats

    Factsheet 5 - Ferrets

    Factsheet 6 - Domestic rabbits and rodents

    All animals being brought into the UK need to travel with an authorised transport company, on an authorised route. See below for further information;

    UK contacts for further enquiries regarding the above mentioned;

    PETS helpline

    Telephone: +44 (0)870 241 1710 - Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm UK time (closed Bank Holidays).

    There is also a minicom/textphone number for the deaf and hard of hearing: 0845 300 1998

    Fax: +44 (0) 1245 458749

    Email: (please enclose your postal address and a day time telephone number)

    Quarantine Section

    Quarantine Section
    Animal Health
    Government Offices
    Beeches Road
    CM1 2RU

    Telephone: +44 (0) 1245 358383
    Fax: +44 (0) 1245 458749


    Please include your postal address and a daytime telephone number.

    Birds and monkeys will fall under different regulation. Please see below for details;

    Hybrid animals and CITES

    Certain hybrid animals may be subject to the provisions of the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and will require a CITES permit to enter the UK from third countries. A hybrid animal regulated under CITES is one that in its previous four generations has a parent the species of which is listed in Appendix I or II of CITES. For more information on CITES, please contact Defra’s Wildlife Species Conservation on Tel: 0117 372 8749 , Fax: 0117 372 8206 or email

    It is the responsibility of the owner or person accompanying the animal to the UK to ensure that CITES requirements are met where appropriate. The enforcement of CITES and the checking of these permits is carried out by HM Revenue & Customs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page