Some other FAQs (Frequently asked questions)

Discussion in 'Is this a scam?' started by Miyuki, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanish Administrator

Spanish Administrator THE Spanish Administrator Staff Member

How did you find me? How did you get my email?

Ah, well, that's a good question, and the answer really is, we can't tell you that.

We receive information about scammers and their scams from confidential sources and we cannot provide you with that information. We have to protect the source. In some cases we don't even know the name of the source anyway. Sometimes these sources provide us information which, if given to a scammer, could reveal the identity of the source, which is not good for the source. Also, it does sometimes happen that people who are warned actually send copies of the warning letter to the scammer, just because, perhaps, it makes them feel good. In any case, this doesn't tell the scammer anything new but it can "burn" a source of information for us. It can also endanger the source.

If you get an email directing you to this (or any other) site, it sometimes happens that we have only an email address. The warning you receive in that case will not give you a lot of details because we don't have a lot of details.

Sometimes we have your email and your name, and we can at least write, "Dear ......". But again, that may be all we know. Other times we may actually have a name or part of a name that the scammer is using and we can tell you that. Sometimes, when we are really lucky, we can actually tell you the type of scam that the scammers are using. We will tell you that if we know.

We may also have only an address for you, in which case you didn't get an email but you did get a letter by regular mail warning you about the scam. We may have a phone number for you, and, depending on the urgency of the situation, you may get a phone call from one of us warning you about the scam.

Please keep in mind that everyone who works here is a volunteer. We get information and we do the best we can with what we have. We try to warn people in a timely manner. In some cases we are able to warn you before you actually send your money to a scammer. Other times, unfortunately, we are not able to warn you before you may have sent some money to a scammer. We are sorry if you have already sent money, but there are far more scammers than there are people who can warn others.

If you have any doubts or questions about any warning you receive, you can always contact us or send a private message to one of the admins. We are happy to answer your questions as best we can. If you receive a warning directing you to another site, you can always contact that site directly and ask them about the warning you received and if it is real or not.

2. The Doctor

The Doctor Administrator Staff Member

Do you have an office?

You're looking at it. This is all there is. We exist in cyberia.

3. The Doctor

The Doctor Administrator Staff Member

How can I help?

Glad you asked that. Actually one of the things you can do is what you’re doing right now: reading and learning more. By becoming more informed, you become a good information source for others.

The next thing to do is to tell your family and friends about internet fraud and maybe show them websites like this one. This can be very helpful to someone you know who is new to the internet. If more people know about the problem, then fewer of them will become victims. You could also start a publicity campaign in your area by contacting the local media. Sometimes the media is very interested, especially if you have a story to tell.

Another way you can help is to join a community like AFI and become an active member on the board. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. We’re here to help. If you have other language skills and can work in one of our other language rooms, we can certainly use the help there.

The people here come from many different walks of life. But each of us has one thing in mind, to fight internet fraud. It’s a big task and there’s never enough help.

There are additional things you can do, and if you’d like to pursue it further, contact an admin and we can discuss it and try to point you in the right direction.

4. Kat

Kat Administrator Staff Member

Can I have your phone number?

AFI does not have a phone number so technically you can't have our phone number.

If you need to speak to a real person about a scam situation that can be arranged. Otherwise, we communicate by email.

Please do not ask individual members for their phone numbers. They won't give them out. This is a common practice for some men, but don't ask the ladies here because we won't give out our phone numbers. We hope that no one would ever give out their real number. It's not just a girl thing, it's a safety thing.

5. Miyuki

Miyuki Administratrix Staff Member

I would like you to help me get a passport or visa.

Hello. Welcome to Anti Fraud International. This is an anti-internet fraud website. Posted here are various forms of scam emails that are circulating, various scam documents, and other information about internet fraud.

We are NOT a passport agency or visa agency and we do not get passports or visas for people.

If you want a passport you need to contact the issuing agency in your home country, such as the foreign ministry etc.

If you want a visa to live and work in another country you have to go to the embassy or consulate of that country in your home country. You can apply for a visa there.

Please do not contact us and ask for our help. We don't have time for that and that isn't what we do.

Thank you.

6. Miyuki

I would like to apply for a loan. What is your loan process?

Hello. Welcome to Anti Fraud International. This is an anti-internet fraud website. Posted here are various forms of scam emails that are circulating, various scam documents, and other information about internet fraud.

We are NOT a loan company of any type. We do not issue loans. Therefore we do not have a loan process.

Any "loan company" information you find in this website is a loan scam format from some scammer/criminal. We receive them from scammer/criminals in our email accounts, as you do. Then we post them here in order to alert the public to the fact that it IS a scam and not a legitimate offer for a loan. It is never a real loan offer.

Please do not contact us and ask for loan information. That isn't what we do.

Thank you.

7. Miyuki

I would like you to help me get a job.

We are NOT an employment agency. We do not hire people nor do we arrange for work for them.

Any employment information you find in this website is either an advanced fee fraud or a fake check scam format from some scammer/criminal. We receive them from scammer/criminals in our email accounts, as you do. Then we post them here in order to alert the public to the fact that it IS a scam and not a legitimate employment offer.

Please do not contact us to ask us to find a job for you. That isn't what we do.

Thank you.

8. Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer Administrator Staff Member

I guess we've been having problems with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.