Thank you Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Thank You!' started by Central Scrutinizer, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Dororo

Dororo Administrator Staff Member

They don't show headers now. Only "View Raw Message". :mad:

2. Kat

Kat Administrator Staff Member

They just go from bad to worse.

3. Hua Mulan

Hua Mulan Administrator Staff Member

And sometimes that does not function.

4. Dororo

Dororo Administrator Staff Member

It has not changed in Japanese yet.

5. De Master Yoda

De Master Yoda Administrator Staff Member

Yahoo at it again.

Yahoo 'secretly scanned emails for US authorities'

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37551415

Yahoo secretly scanned millions of its users' email accounts on behalf of the US government, according to a report.

Reuters news agency says the firm built special software last year to comply with a classified request.

"Yahoo is a law abiding company, and complies with the laws of the United States," the tech firm said in a statement provided to the BBC.

The allegation comes less than a fortnight after Yahoo said hackers had stolen data about many of its users.

Yahoo is in the process of being taken over by Verizon Communications in a $4.8bn (£3.8bn) deal. The telecoms provider declined to comment on the report.

'Upset workers'
    Reuters reports that the scans were requested by either the National Security Agency (NSA) or the FBI, according to three sources - two of whom it says were ex-Yahoo employees.

The news agency says that the software scanned for a string of characters within all incoming emails, but adds that it was unable to determine what information was handed over or if other internet companies had received a similar demand.

US law allows the country's intelligence agencies to order the release of customer data that they believe could prevent a terrorist attack, among other reasons.

Companies can challenge such orders behind closed doors in the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

But Reuters reports that Yahoo decided not to fight the matter because it thought it would lose. It adds that some Yahoo employees were upset by that decision.

The whistleblower Edward Snowden, who previously revealed details about the US's cyber-spying efforts, has tweeted in response to the unverified allegations: "Use @yahoo? They secretly scanned everything you ever wrote... close your account today."

6. Kat

Can't even get into my yahoo account. :mad:

7. Hua Mulan

They want to change password and add a new phone to everything. :mad:

8. De Master Yoda

I am unsure as to what Yahoo is doing. As many of these groups get bigger they tend to quietly introduce things that they can use later on to make more money with (advertising etc) An indication of this is the organizations attempts to gain more personal details of their customers like phone numbers etc.
    The customers are rarely consulted and seem to be largely ignored, despite being the reason for the organizations existence.

I would anticipate that Yahoo are setting something up that will increase their income but at the detriment to their customers. We will see what occurs in the future.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Administrator Staff Member

I think they want to force everyone to change their password.

10. De Master Yoda

This is possible however it also confirms that the account is active and gives them a chance to obtain a phone number in many cases.

11. Hua Mulan

Change password and add phone. One can skip the add phone and still get into email. :mad:

12. Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer Administrator Staff Member

Almost mandatory password change.

13. Sphinx

Sphinx Administrator Staff Member

I think I've been hacked by Yahoo! But if I can't get into my email maybe no one else can either. ;)

14. Kat

Did anyone notice that this thread started in 2013? That's when all that hacking of yahoo accounts began....

15. Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer Administrator Staff Member

Now that is weird.