Timothy Gates, US Army Surgeon

Discussion in 'Military Romance scams' started by Audra Vorapanya, Sep 5, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Post moved from:
    http://antifraudintl.org/threads/dr-mark-david-us-army-surgeon.107101/#post-323846

Hello everyone, I'm having an experience that is similar to what you all have mentioned above. Someone named Timothy Gates contacted me on Facebook, asked to be my friend which I ignorantly accepted and then he started having a conversation with me on Messenger. Said he is an orthopedic surgeon for the US Army and is stationed in Syria, Damascus. Said he lost his wife 3 years ago, although we just had our first conversation last night so I was not going to ask him permission to talk about it. In all his photos on Facebook, he appears to be in his early to mid 40's and has a son around 4-5 years old. I asked about his son and he said he is staying with his late mom's sister in Sweden. Timothy is supposed to come back to the states in Los Angeles where he has an apartment at the end of this month when his assignment is done. He said he'll be here indefinitely until he gets another assignment, but likely not back to Syria. He then told me he does not have a cell phone because it was smashed while he was attending to a medical emergency over there so he asked to chat with me on Google Hangouts which we did last night. His gmail is timothygates14@gmail.com. He asked me what my Zodiac sign is, said I seem to be a woman with a big heart and asked if I believed in giving. I answered not knowing then he might be a possible scam. Said I had just donated to the Red Cross for the Hurricane Harvey victims out of TX and I donate my time to local charity all the time like YMCA. Said that God created a perfect woman like me and used some line about not even thousands of orchids compare to my beauty - I straight up told him that - that's a line if I ever heard one! He said there's nothing to do for fun in the camp he is staying at in Syria except walk around there on weekends and chat with new friends he made. What's strange is that he is coming back to Los Angeles first, then he is going back to Sweden sometime to pick up his son. Why wouldn't he pick up his son first if he misses him, then come home to the states? That was the gist of the conversation, but it sure is looking like this is a scam similar to what's been discussed above.

2. Sapphire's Strike

Sapphire's Strike Administrator Staff Member

@ Audra Vorapanya - Yes this is a scam. Same scam tactics as many others use as you say.