Vera Howelt

Discussion in 'Rental scams' started by Bellflower, Mar 5, 2011.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Bellflower

Bellflower Guest

Same scam different name, same emails. They send you a check for too much and ask you to western union the difference back. The check is no good and you'll loose the money. Don't fall for it. I have reported it to FBI and so should you!

2. Really a scam?

This person claiming to be vera howelt contacted me about subleasing my apartment yesterday, so fr everything seems fine but after I googleing the name this scares me. Would you mind filling me in more on what happened in your case.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Administrator Staff Member

It probably turns out to be a fake check scam. The person who posted first is a guest and we don't have any way to contact that person.

4. anti-Vera

anti-Vera Guest

Here's one of the messages she sends:

Hello,
    It is my pleasure to write you this note,i am Vera by name,from France coming to United state for some research program and studying of international relation,and i will need either a room or apartment to stay when i come,i just wanna know if the room/apartment you advertised is still vacant,if so please get back to as soon as possible so we start talking about the payment,and also update me the full details about the apartment...thanks in anticipation..hope to hear from you soon...
    Vera

5. antivera

antivera New Member

@Chrisparkside
    Vera Howelt is a fake person; she emailed me about my apartment near a university but she said she's going to a completely different on the other side of town. Do NOT trust her.

Here's what she wrote:

Hello,
    It is my pleasure to write you this note,i am Vera by name,from France coming to United state for some research program and studying of international relation,and i will need either a room or apartment to stay when i come,i just wanna know if the room/apartment you advertised is still vacant,if so please get back to as soon as possible so we start talking about the payment,and also update me the full details about the apartment...thanks in anticipation..hope to hear from you soon...
    Vera

Hello ...
    Good to read back from you..Am very happy to hear that the place is available, and i will be studying at UCLA so i will be coming as soon as its available for me to move inn and it also depend on how long you want to rent it for but i don't mind if it will be available for a year...But the issue is that because of the distance i wont be able to come down to see the place...I will want you to send me some pics so that i can forward it to my step dad so that he can see the place..Meanwhile let me tell you a lill about myself..Am Vera am 23years old i lost my dad some years back when i was young so my mom had to remarry so she married to Mr Grant howelt who is my step dad now..He as been the one who has been taking care of me all this while i believe he is a God sent to me cux i have never regretted a moment with him..Things i like are as follows reading,swimming and chatting with people around me and also make them happy..I have always been thinking of how i will affect peoples life positively by making donations to the less privileges cus when i looked at my past when i lost my dad from the story my mom told me..I noticed it is not easy for people that as no parent..Presently i am among the people that donate to Charity homes for the support of the motherless home..Although i donate lill amount, but no amount is too small to help..Well i hope when we meet in person you will know more about me..Meanwhile my step dad will need the followings to make payment to you ASAP..

1.Your name and surname..

2.Address in full with the zip code..

3.Your phone number....

I will wait to have this information's from you so that my step dad can make payment for the rental fee and security deposit in advance..If there is any application you can send it to me so that i can print it out and have it fill then bring it along when am coming to the state soon..I will want you to consider the room/apt/house rented to us in case if they ask for rental availablity...Hope to hear from you pretty soon..In case you have yahoo ID you can add me so that we can chat and know more about me..
    Thanks
    Vera

6. antivera

antivera New Member

Oh, and I know Vera Howelt is fake because I got another email like this:

Hello ...
    Good to read back from you..Am very happy to hear that the place is available...But the issue is that because of the distance i wont be able to come down to see the place...I will want you to send me some pics so that i can forward it to my step dad so that he can see the place..Meanwhile let me tell you a lill about myself..Am Shelly and am 23years old i lost my dad some years back when i was young so my mom had to remarry so she married to Mr Marcus wilder who is my step dad now..He as been the one who has been taking care of me all this while i believe he is a God sent to me cux i have never regretted a moment with him..Things i like are as follows reading,swimming and chatting with people around me and also make them happy..I have always been thinking of how i will affect peoples life positively by making donations to the less privileges cus when i looked at my past when i lost my dad from the story my mom told me..I noticed it is not easy for people that as no parent..Presently i am among the people that donate to Charity homes for the support of the motherless home..Although i donate lill amount, but no amount is too small to help..Well i hope when we meet in person you will know more about me..Meanwhile my step dad will need the followings to make payment to you ASAP..

3.Your phone number....

I will wait to have this information's from you so that my step dad can make payment for the rental fee and security deposit in advance..If there is any application you can send it to me so that i can print it out and have it fill then bring it along when am coming..I will want you to consider the room/apt/house rented to us in case if they ask for rental availability...Hope to hear from you pretty soon..In case you have yahoo ID you can add me so that we can chat and know more about me..
    Thanks Shelly

7. snnydy

snnydy New Member

More info

When Vera gets your name, address and phone her stepdad Grant (or Grand) Howlet emails you and says a check is on it's way but there was a mistake - his client was supposed to send Vera a check to come out but all the money went to you and would you deduct $100 for your troubles, the rent, deposit and send what's left to Western Union. The check will be in the mail but if you deposit it and use any of the money you think is there you will loose it because it is a counterfeit check. So you end up paying a wester union bill, bank charges and whatever you sent.

I fell for it, sent about $300 to Brooklynn and emailed that I did and then he (Grant) wanted me to send the rent back to Vera's travel agent that day and that he would send another check to cover it. I never sent it but he did send another fake check that I did not deposit and they keep using our name and address on the return labels for other people's checks they are scamming. We've already received 2 in the mail because they were bad addresses.

Long story short, dont put any check in your bank from Grant o rVera Howelt.

8. snnydy

snnydy New Member

you are correct

9. tcap92

tcap92 New Member

i got the same message but a girl from japan. she had the exact same story, same wording, but went be the name reheena smith. this is also probably a scam

10. YO_Gurl

YO_Gurl Guest

VERA HOWELT IS AN ASSHOLE

I also got emails from Vera Howelt and Grant Howelt. I almost got duped by this other person called "ABIGAIL AMBER". They are way too many. I dont know how can I find a genuine roommate. But since I had God's hand over my head, I cancelled the payment in the last minute by calling WEsterrn Union. THANK GOD, I was saved. I was unaware of these scams before I almost fell victim to one.

Regards
    NJ

11. Drobrayhound

Drobrayhound New Member

Vera and Grant Howelt

Yes, I live in New York and she tried the same scam with me I gave her my name, address and phone number but I told her that my family was in law enforcement and I would not abide scammers. I already had 2 scammers apply for my room. She hasn't gotten back to me yet. LOL.

12. Pheori

Pheori Guest

All the Roommate Scam Emails I've recieved in one day on CL...

From Vera Howelt:

"Hello,
    Vera"

13. vera h responded to my UC Berkeley craigslist ad

vera h responded to my UC Berkeley craigslist ad

14. aleeagle

aleeagle New Member

VERA HOWELT-SCAM

o ...
    Good to read back from you..Am very happy to hear that the place is available...But the issue is that because of the distance i wont be able to come down to see the place...I will want you to send me some pics so that i can forward it to my step dad so that he can see the place..Meanwhile let me tell you a lill about myself..Am Vera am 23years old i lost my dad some years back when i was young so my mom had to remarry so she married to Mr Grant howelt who is my step dad now..He as been the one who has been taking care of me all this while i believe he is a God sent to me cux i have never regretted a moment with him..Things i like are as follows reading,swimming and chatting with people around me and also make them happy..I have always been thinking of how i will affect peoples life positively by making donations to the less privileges cus when i looked at my past when i lost my dad from the story my mom told me..I noticed it is not easy for people that as no parent..Presently i am among the people that donate to Charity homes for the support of the motherless home..Although i donate lill amount, but no amount is too small to help..Well i hope when we meet in person you will know more about me..Meanwhile my step dad will need the followings to make payment to you ASAP..

3.Your phone number....

I will wait to have this information's from you so that my step dad can make payment for the rental fee and security deposit in advance..If there is any application you can send it to me so that i can print it out and have it fill then bring it along when am coming to the state soon..I will want you to consider the room/apt/house rented to us in case if they ask for rental availablity...Hope to hear from you pretty soon..In case you have yahoo ID you can add me so that we can chat and know more about me..
    Thanks
    Vera

15. NOT from France...

Advertising a place in Dupont Circle in Washington, DC, and I got the message below at 3.00 am this morning. The middle-of-the-night e-mail, awkward English, unorthodox title, and claim of French origin all sounded a little fishy... It just so happens that I'm French and a linguistics enthusiast--this is NOT the awkward English of a native French speaker.

So I googled our friend Vera, and thankfully found this forum. Great work, guys!

¡No pasarán!

"Is your space still vacant.................?

Hello,
    Vera"

16. Hamster536

Hamster536 New Member

I have the same thing here he contacted me about a place in NJ.

17. Hamster536

Hamster536 New Member

SCAM

I got the same thing...here are the emails

Hello Jenny ,
    How are you doing today, I am very happy to inform you that the payment for Vera's Room/Apt will be delivered to you today ....Here is the tracking from Usps (0311 0820 0000 6227 9375) you can track it yourself on usps.com so that you can see things yourself....But there was a little problem which i guess we can handle with understanding...I instructed my client to send out the money to you but there was a mistake in the issuance of the check...I told him to send you the exact first deposit/first month rent and also told him to send some money to Vera's travel agent in another check but he claimed he did not get the information clearly so he made all the money out to you but i guess it is a small thing we can work out.
    Now the deal is on and we will get through it.what will happen is that ,once you get the check and cash it, deduct only the security deposit needed for Vera's move in so when she come over she will pay you the rent by cash before her moving inn the security deposit is just to hold the room and just to know that we are very serious about the renting...After that You will deduct extra $100 for yourself which will serve as compensation cus i guess am taking you thru stress for helping me out in solving this lil problem my client caused.. Then you will have the balance forwarded to Vera's travel agent who will work on Vera's paper so she can be in the state as soon as possible via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER...I just want to get everything set for her since i may not even be around at her move in date....I guess i told you am a business man and i travel alot due to the nature of my work.

So as soon as you have the cash and have deducted all necessary charges ....You will go to western union outlet with CASH balance and Vera's travel agent information then you will transfer the money to the travel agent using the information below

Travel Agent info

Jennifer McFarlane-West
    445 Shore Parkway
    Brooklyn New York 11214

As soon as you have the money sent to him you will need to get back to me with the western union details such as..

1...MTCN (money transfer control number) Its always on the receipt that will be given to you at western union..

2...Total amount sent after deducting western union charges

3...Senders name and address as it is written on the receipt given to you at western

Thanks alot for your understand and i will be waiting to hear from you again as soon as you read this message...take care and have a wonderful working day

Grant

Hello Jenny
    How are you doing nice to read back from you so quick as its really made my day year i did not send money from France its my client one of those that i supply good to over there in US so he is owing me and he has to pay me but we only transact with bill of exchange in other to reduce the risk of moving cash from one place to the other so he has been owing me for long that it seems he don't want to pay but when the issue of Vera comes up i just have to contact him to use the last proceed I'm having with him to issue out the payment for you and the travel agent so i can get my money from him so that was why u see USPS so i just want you to cash the check as soon as you have and act as i have instruct you in the first e mail cause 1, the check has been written in your name if you have to send it to either the travel agent or me it will void the check and 2 i will want you to consider the fact that the issuer of of the check has been owning and don't want to pay me for long i just sees the opportunity to get back my money from the debtor so if you are to send back the check to him it will cost me and Vera a lot that can affect Vera coming over to the state and i don't want to jeopardize her interest so i want to to just try and be off final help to Vera i trust everybody so i trust you as well that there will no be any problem what so ever you will get know me better when ever Vera comes over and i will pay a visit someday...thanks i will wait to hear back from you thanks
    Grant

Hello Jenny
    How are you doing nice to read back from you so quick as its really made my day year i did not send money from France its my client one of those that i supply good to over there in US so he is owing me and he has to pay me but we only transact with bill of exchange in other to reduce the risk of moving cash from one place to the other so he has been owing me for long that it seems he don't want to pay but when the issue of Vera comes up i just have to contact him to use the last proceed I'm having with him to issue out the payment for you and the travel agent so i can get my money from him so that was why u see USPS so i just want you to cash the check as soon as you have and act as i have instruct you in the first e mail cause 1, the check has been written in your name if you have to send it to either the travel agent or me it will void the check and 2 i will want you to consider the fact that the issuer of of the check has been owning and don't want to pay me for long i just sees the opportunity to get back my money from the debtor so if you are to send back the check to him it will cost me and Vera a lot that can affect Vera coming over to the state and i don't want to jeopardize her interest so i want to to just try and be off final help to Vera i trust everybody so i trust you as well that there will no be any problem what so ever you will get know me better when ever Vera comes over and i will pay a visit someday...thanks i will wait to hear back from you thanks
    Grant

18. katrina

katrina New Member

Vera Guillermo lglg8201@gmail.com

The same team have emailed me with the extra wording from the above emails.
    step father Grant Howelt and daughter Vera Guillermo

Thank for being on facebook. I have relisted for local students only.
    Katrina

19. WayneB

WayneB New Member

Rental scham

I was just in an email exchange with Vera and her step-dad. Our two rentals are important to my family. I am so glad to discover your site and can move on to other tenants.

Hello There...
    How are you doing over there...Thanks for getting back to me..I got the information and i have forwarded it to my step dad so that he can look into payment..He will be contacting you shortly either through email or phone so i will want you to attend to him very well...Please be rest assured that i am taking the room..If anyone ask about if the unit is available pls tell them its rent cause i am serious about taking the room...Thank you and have a wonderful day..
    Best Regards
    Vera

Hello ...
    Good to read back from you..Am very happy to hear that the place is available...But the issue is that because of the distance i wont be able to come down to see the place...I will want you to send me some pics so that i can forward it to my step dad so that he can see the place..Meanwhile let me tell you a lill about myself..Am Vera am 23years old i lost my dad some years back when i was young so my mom had to remarry so she married to Mr Grant howelt who is my step dad now..He as been the one who has been taking care of me all this while i believe he is a God sent to me cux i have never regretted a moment with him..Things i like are as follows reading,swimming and chatting with people around me and also make them happy..I have always been thinking of how i will affect peoples life positively by making donations to the less privileges cus when i looked at my past when i lost my dad from the story my mom told me..I noticed it is not easy for people that as no parent..Presently i am among the people that donate to Charity homes for the support of the motherless home..Although i donate lill amount, but no amount is too small to help..Well i hope when we meet in person you will know more about me..Meanwhile my step dad will need the followings to make payment to you ASAP..

3.Your phone number....

Thanks
    Vera

Hello,
    It is my pleasure to write you this note,i am Vera by name,from France coming to United state for some research program and studying of international relation,and i will need either a room or apartment to stay when i come,i just wanna know if the room/apartment you advertised is still vacant,if so please get back to as soon as possible so we start talking about the payment,and also update me the full details about the apartment...thanks in anticipation...hope to hear from you soon.
    Vera

Hello,
    It is my pleasure to write you this note,i am Vera by name,from France coming to United state for some research program and studying of international relation,and i will need either a room or apartment to stay when i come,i just wanna know if the room/apartment you advertised is still vacant,if so please get back to as soon as possible so we start talking about the payment,and also update me the full details about the apartment...thanks in anticipation...hope to hear from you soon.
    Vera

Hello Joseph,
    How are you doing and hope every thing is cool...my step daughter contacted me that she secured a space with you...she had sent me your information that the payment would be send to and I've forwarded it to my client to issue out the payment to you so that the space can be secured pending her arrival date...i am not in the state now if not i would have done this today but this is not a problem he promise to get it send to you asap okay...i will keep you posted on when it will get to you ...thanks for accommodating my daughter.. and i will want you to confirm the information you give to Vera if its correct let me know if there is anything to correct like apt number if there is any thanks

20. Vera Guillermo & Grant Howelt

OMG I am getting these also! What is the scam?

Just posted a room for rent with private bath. Have gotten:

Email #1: Vera
    "Hello,
    It is my pleasure to write you this note,i am Vera by name,from France coming to United state for some research program and studying of international relation,and i will need either a room or apartment to stay when i come,i just wanna know if the room/apartment you advertised is still vacant,if so please get back to as soon as possible so we start talking about the payment,and also update me the full details about the apartment...thanks in anticipation..hope to hear from you soon.
    Vera"

Email #2: Vera
    Hello ...

3.Your phone number....

Thanks
    Vera

Email #3: From Grant
    "Hello Rangena,
    How are you doing and hope every thing is cool...my step daughter contacted me that she secured a space with you...she had sent me your information that the payment would be send to and I've forwarded it to my client to issue out the payment to you so that the space can be secured pending her arrival date...i am not in the state now if not i would have done this today but this is not a problem he promise to get it send to you asap okay...i will keep you posted on when it will get to you ...thanks for accommodating my daughter.. and i will want you to confirm the information you give to Vera if its correct let me know if there is anything to correct like apt number if there is any thanks"