Why church and charity emails are fake

Discussion in 'Church and Charity scams' started by Gentle Giant, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Giant Admin for a Day Staff Member

Assuming that you actually get here to this part, here's some reasons that church or charity email you received is fake, aside from the fact that they are ALWAYS a scam.

If you have read about how to identify a scam email (which is here) then in addition to things like bad grammar, poor spelling, even poorer punctuation, the use of free email servers, etc. these are some other things that make a church or charity format completely bogus.

What's the scam?
    In this subforum you are going to run into the 2 main types of scams, advanced fee fraud and fake check fraud. In the advanced fee fraud the church or charity is going to find amazingly creative advanced fees you have to pay in order for you to receive the money you "won" or were "granted". But as with any advanced fee fraud all you will do is pay money to get that money released. You aren't ever going to get a check for your "donation". You're only going to pay money. There is no "donation" for you, there is only a scammer/criminal who wants to steal your money.

In the fake check scam you are asked to be a claims agent, paying agent, etc or some kind of representative for a church or charity. That makes it just like the representative scam (read here about representative scams- the same hold true in this case). The fake check scam is just that-- all you are ever going to get is a fake check or money order. You can read elsewhere (like here) about why you don't want to have a fake check for any reason.

1. You have received a donation from....
    No, you haven't. A real church or charity does not ever notify people of a "donation" by email. They don't make donations by email. Ever. Real churches and charities who have money for donations are going to spend it in places where it's needed like....Nigeria. They don't conduct lotteries or random draws of email accounts to give money to people who live in North America or Europe. In addition, churches or other religious charities give their money to people who actually profess that faith. So if I get an email from the Catholic Church I know it's a scam because I'm not Catholic. Similarly if I receive a "donation" from a Muslim charity I know it's a scam because I'm not Muslim. What you have received is a scam email and the best thing to do with it is to delete it and forget it. It's not real.

2. "This program was conceived with the Objective of human Growth, educational,and community development"
    This is actually a true statement in a way. The program (internet scamming) is conceived with the objective of human growth, educational, and community development, namely, the human growth of the scammer/criminal's cash supply at your expense. To be certain the actual church or charity may have a program designed to alleviate human poverty. The scammer/criminal just wants to alleviate his poverty. You can safely delete the email because it's a scam.

3. "This draw takes place annually and you are only eligible once every 10 years".
    So why did you "win" twice this year? Why did you win twice this month? Why did you win twice today? Because you didn't win anything except that lucky random lottery that scammers play called 'I'm going to send a scam email to...". Yes it's a scam and you can delete it because it's not real.

4. Out of all the people in the entire world how is it that this charity selected YOU?
    And if these "donations" are designed for helping lift people out of poverty how come you won one? OK, you may say, I'm poor, but are you living on less that USD$ 1.00 a day? Do you live in sub-Saharan Africa? Do you live in Southeastern or Southwestern Asia? Do you live in Central or South America? Shouldn't that money be given to someone who needs it more that you do? Yeah, probably. I'm sorry but you didn't win anything, you just got an email from a scammer. There is no money to receive. There is only your money to lose. The best thing to do? Delete that email and don't respond to it. It is not real.

5. I won millions in a lottery (my wife and I won) and now I want to donate this money to charity.
    Yeah, whatever. It is possible that some people are charity minded, however, it now appears that every single mega-lottery winner now wants to give money away to complete strangers. In short, no they don't. You got a scam mail from an internet criminal, and you know, delete it and don't respond to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.