Why lottery emails and SMS lottery messages are always fake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Giant

Giant Admin for a Day
Staff member
Assuming that you actually get here to this part, here's some reasons that the lottery scam is fake, aside from the fact that it's ALWAYS a scam.

If you have read about how to identify a scam email (which is here) then in addition to things like bad grammar, poor spelling, even poorer punctuation, the use of free email servers, etc. these are some other things that make a lottery scam format completely bogus.

I just won a lottery!
No you didn't. You just got a scam email.

1. Real lotteries never notify people by email like this. Never.
But maybe...no, not maybe. It is a scam. It is never real.
What if...? No, sorry it's a scam.
It could be....it is a scam. You are not a winner.
Just to repeat, real lotteries never notify people by email. What you have is a scam email and the best thing to do with it is to delete it and forget it.

2. If you didn't buy a ticket you can never win a lottery.
Hopefully it would go without saying but sometimes people do need to be reminded of this. It's just that simple. You buy a ticket, you can win. No ticket, no win. Lotteries make money by selling tickets. They do not make money giving money away. They have to sell tickets.

3. "No tickets were sold"
This is a cute little fiction that scammers have cooked up to explain why you can win without buying a ticket (see #2). If they didn't sell tickets then it isn't a real lottery.

4. I won the Microsoft lottery.

Sorry, you didn't. Microsoft doesn't have a lottery. Most of the lotteries listed in this forum are not real lotteries. A few of them are but if you didn't buy a ticket, you can't win.

5. I won the Australian lottery but my claims agent is in Nigeria.
Think about that one for a minute. Take a look at a map. See Australia? See Nigeria? Why would Australians hire people in Nigeria to be paying agents for their lottery? It's not logical and it makes no sense economically. Your "paying agent" in Nigeria is actually just a criminal/scammer.

This goes for any other country with a lottery in one country but the paying agent in another. If they tell you that, it's just a scam email. Best to delete it and forget it.

6. Your lottery winnings are covered by a "high insurance policy".
Cute, but entirely fictitious. This is a little device the scammers have created (in their own mind) to explain why they can't deduct the fees from all that lottery money you won. There is no such thing as a "high insurance policy". The reason they cant, or won't deduct the fees from the winnings is because there are no winnings. (See # 1-3 above).

Last edited by a moderator:

Miyuki

Administratrix
Staff member
This is what happens when you win a real lottery. Notice that there is lot of publicity and you become famous. None of this "keep this information from the public until payment of your prize" nonsense that scammers tell you.

Well sorry. That link doesn't work any more. But the point is, real lotteries like free publicity and they like free media coverage. Scammers don't want any publicity, which is why we do that for them. So that everyone knows that every lottery email is always a scam.

Last edited:

Gentle Giant

Giant Admin for a Day
Staff member
7. These are tax free lottery winnings.
Have you ever heard the saying, "there's no such thing as a free lunch?" Have you ever heard the saying, "there are only 2 guarantees in life, death and taxes"? I raise this point because it came up in a lottery scam format the other day.

There is no such thing as a tax free lottery prize. If you won a real lottery some government somewhere is going to get part of that as taxes. That is guaranteed. If you see this in an email you can be sure it's a scam. Best thing to do is delete that email.

8. [Do not tell anyone you won]...."Due to possible mix up of some numbers and email contacts".
They can't even keep their numbers or email addresses straight? Does that sound like a competent outfit? Why would you want to have anything to do with such an incompetent bunch of bozos who can't even find some winning numbers? How do you know they got your numbers? Maybe you didn't win after all. And of course you didn't, you got a scam email. Best thing to do? Delete it and forget it.

9. This is part of our security protocol, to avoid double claiming and unwarranted taking of advantage of this program by participants, as has happened in the past.
Someone took advantage of their program in the past? Great, that sounds like a real competent bunch to run the lottery I just won. Oh, wait, see # 1 above.

10. I got a text message on my mobile that says I won a lottery.
Oh, well then that must be real. Not!!!!

It's just as much a scam as the lottery email. Just delete it and forget it, although you might contact your service provider and let them know that criminals are abusing your mobile service.

Status
Not open for further replies.