Why refugee emails are a scam

Discussion in 'Refugee scams' started by Gentle Giant, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Giant Admin for a Day Staff Member

Assuming that you actually get here to this part, here's some reasons that a refugee email is fake, aside from the fact that they are ALWAYS fake.

If you have read about how to identify a scam email (which is here) then in addition to things like bad grammar, poor spelling, even poorer punctuation, the use of free email servers, etc. these are some other things that make a refugee email completely bogus.

1. I am a poor girl in...
    No, "she" isn't. The email you got was sent by a man. He's a criminal. He uses the internet to steal money. The best thing you can do with the email is to just delete it.

2. My father was a rich merchant in...
    This one is interesting. If the father is so wealthy how come his daughter ends up in a refugee camp? Why does "she" have no access to any money? (And you're saying-- "because there's no money!) and you're right. There's no daughter and there's no rich merchant father. It's a scam mail and nothing more. Delete it and forget it.

3. I am Princess......
    What are these people, like Princess Leia or something? Who abandons a princess? No one does. It's a scam mail. Delete it and forget it.

4. "I am from East/ Central Africa but I fled to a refugee camp in Senegal".
    Get a good map or use one of the online tools to measure the distrance between your refugee's home country or province and Senegal. Is it more than 100 miles or kilomaters? If so, it's a scam. Refugee camps are built in neighboring countries to assist people fleeing a conflict in their home country. NO ONE travels 2,500 miles across the Sahel (an area that's almost like a desert) to Senegal. You got a scam email from some enterprising internet criminal in Senegal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.