Harry Clark, Appointments Request‏

DrKoontzDC

I'm the owner of a Chiropractic office here in Greece and received the email copied below. I found it a bit odd & suspicious but decided to give him/them the benefit of the doubt and sent a reply:

To [h.clark50@rocketmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8: 16: 27 PM
To: [h.clark50@rocketmail.com]

Greetings,

I want to book for 2 weeks checkups, 1 or 2 hours each day Monday to Friday (morning or evening hours) for a group of 10. We will be coming for a one month vacation/holiday from 23rd January 2012 and in line with our plans we will require 2 weeks Chiropractic to help maintain healthy body due to the nature of our job and also to make our stay fun. The checkups should basically be on Chiropractic or any Physical Therapy/Healing you can offer.

Please let me know if your clinic can handle this for us and get back to me with requirements to enable me contact you with more clarifications. Also confirm if you can arrange a one on one checkups and counseling for us or if its better in group
Awaits your email.

Harry Clark

I sent a basic reply asking them if they would be willing to fill case history reports and provide x-rays in digital format to expedite their initial visit. This was the second response:

Hello Dr,

May this email find you well and we have not seen any chiropractor before. To be more specific, my group consists of 5 men and 5 women with the age range of 27-45. We are from three different countries, 3 Asians (Korea), 4 United States and 3 United Kingdom but our vacation entered the same time so we are making arrangements to spend them together as we will resume work the same time. All members involved speaks English except the Asians but we are making arrangements to get Language translators for them during our stay.

I understand the fact that consultations are normally conducted individually, i will arrange for that but in different dates within the 2 weeks as i know this will help you understand everyone. any prescriptions or treatments during this process will also be paid for. I only need a rough estimate on the costing to enable us make a deposit payment and secure the dates then pay the balance at the last day when all bills must have been known.

Please note that we are group of workers from Iraq and works on an off shore firm on a high sea (oil rig) so all payments will be done via credit cards and hope this will not pose any problem to you. Do your clinic accept credit cards as mode of payments? Our hotel reservations need to be made near any selected/booked clinic, that's why i need to make sure i conclude all bookings with you and secure the exact dates you prefer during the 2 weeks. Please get back to me with the total cost/rough estimate in details to confirm and proceed with other bookings.

Thanks,
Harry

Besides the obvious things that ring out about this being a scam, especially from the second message; I recognized it as a scam similar to one where they intend to pay more than what they need to. They then ask for a refund and then there is a charge back on the Credit Card. So not only would one be out the services rendered but would also lose the money refunded since the charge back would remove they money they supposedly paid.

J

JaySF

Office manager

Thank you for posting. We received the same email from the scammer at our office in San Francisco, CA. When we asked "Harry" how he was referred to our office(I asked in two separate replies) he did not answer the question but went on to tell us how much business we would make if we sign on. I automatically felt something was not right and decided to google his email address. Sure enough your posting was the first to pop up. We here on the other side of the world appreciate you for keeping us aware!

D

drjohnmayfield

Chiropractor

I received the same letters in Grass Valley CA. Each time I asked for more information we got the exact same response as you did. Thanks for the heads up.

De Master Yoda

Emeritus
@DrKoontzDC. Welcome to AFI. I would say that your analysis of the situation is quite accurate.

While not a common scam, I have seen similar ones. Sometimes booking hairdressers, musical tuition, masseurs and also hotel rooms with forged or stolen credit cards.

I am sure that you also picked up on him saying he would like chiropractic services, when none of the party seems to have had any chiropractic services provided before.

It is a most unusual request as some new patients are unsure at first, and I find it hard to believe that all of them would seek your professional services, when none have had any treatments before.

It is best to ignore them as they are scammers.

Thank you for your post that will educate others about the ways that scammers operate.

Σας ευχαριστώ για το μήνυμά σας.

De Master Yoda

Emeritus
Sneaky scammer.

This scam intrigued me so I did some research. As is sometimes the case with sneaky scammers, the emails used revealed nothing when checked, so I switched to some other methods. The similar script is used as shown below. this time by "JOHN."

http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?t=60795

Hello,

May this email find you well and thanks for considering my group's request and yes that's where we are coming to and need anti stress reduction.. To be more specific, my group consists of 5 men and 5 women with the age range of 27-45. We are from three different countries, 3 Asians (Korea), 4 United States and 3 United Kingdom but our vacation entered the same time so we are making arrangements to spend them together as we will resume work the same time. All members involved speaks English except the Asians but we are making arrangements to get Language translators for them during our stay.

I understand the fact that consultations are normally conducted individually, i will arrange for that but in different dates within the 2 weeks as i know this will help you understand everyone,any prescriptions or treatments during this process will also be paid for. I only need a rough estimate on the costing to enable us make a deposit payment and secure the dates then pay the balance at the last day when all bills must have been known.

Please note that we are group of workers from Iraq and works on an off shore firm on a high sea (oil rig) so all payments will be done via credit cards and hope this will not pose any problem to you. Do your clinic accept credit cards as mode of payments? Our hotel reservations need to be made near any selected/booked clinic, that's why i need to make sure i conclude all bookings with you and secure the exact dates you prefer during the 2 weeks. Please get back to me with the total cost/rough estimate in details to confirm and proceed with other bookings.

Thanks,
John

D

Dr. Clark Stull

Owner

Thanks for the heads up! Same thing and same messages here in Ga. Last message involved the money transfer with credit cards as described in an earlier post. Finally Googled Harry Clark and found this Anti-fraud site. Thanks, again!

D

Doctor111

Harry Clark SCAM!

Received the same message in November. It is a total SCAM. Beware.
All the details were identical -- etc to the above.

P

PT TK

Physical Therapist

We got the exact same message, except from "Harry". I thought it odd he wanted to vacation in Lincoln Nebraska during the cold of winter!