How to Live Without Google.

GhanaGeria

Na Frustrate Go Kill All Diss Phools?
DuckDuckGo - duck.com is the best search alternative for Google. Have been using them for a long time.

The article DMY had posted is interesting as it lists alternatives for each of Google's services. But the article is now 2 years old. I would be interested to see an updated article for 2019 listing the best alternative services to Google as I assume some new ones have emerged since. Unfortunately I did a Duck search and was not able to find any newer articles on the subject so far. You would think it would be something people would write about every month.

GhanaGeria

Na Frustrate Go Kill All Diss Phools?
Facebook is just as bad if not worse than Google. Facebook just paid a $5BN fine a few weeks ago to the US Federal Government for their involvement in the Cambridge Analytica debacle. I am sure that this is not going to be the end of the fines for Facebook.

Facebook also owns What's crApp. I have since switched to using more secure messaging apps. I use a mix of Signal and Telegram. Signal is the best. Secure, encrypted and open source. So its security and encryption can be constantly polled by the tech community for security. According to a post on Reddit: "Telegram rolls their own "encryption", which hasn't been peer reviewed or attacked on a massive scale yet. I highly doubt that it's actually secure. Signal uses well known and open protocols that have stood up over their lifetime."

What's App is not only owned by FaceBook, but it is far from secure. This is an excerpt from an article today on MarketWatch: "WhatsApp, the messaging and audio app owned by Facebook, announced last May that hackers were able to install spyware on Android smartphones and Apple AAPL 0.93% iPhones. “The attack has all the hallmarks of a private company reportedly that works with governments to deliver spyware that takes over the functions of mobile phone operating systems,” it said at the time."

If you want to know about the dirty tricksters at FecesBook see this clip here done by an investigative journalist at The Observer:

Also, a great documentary came out this week on NetFlix called "The Great Hack" reveals all the nasty stuff about Facebook in fine detail:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9358204

I've been using Signal for a while now and like it. Unfortunately, I don't know many people that use it so I don't get the full benefit. Regarding Facebook, I closed my account there back in October. I made a new account that I only use to stay in touch with two clubs I belong to locally and nothing else. I only use that account in a virtual machine using Firefox with a Facebook container tab. At least FB is limited that way. I don't do the friend thing or any of the other stuff. I never ever access FB from my "real" computer and browser. Only the virtual machine, which I use for absolutely nothing personal. It isn't perfect, but it's better than blasting everything I do to FB.