Netherlands: 111 scammers arrested

De Master Yoda

Emeritus
Amsterdam arrests

Dutch police arrest 111 over suspected Internet fraud

June 17, 2007 - 8:35AM

Police in Amsterdam arrested more than 100 West Africans Saturday as part of a seven month long investigation into Internet fraud, they said.

Spokeswoman Sita Koenders told AFP that 111 people were arrested for being in the Netherlands illegally and "now we must investigate in what way they are implicated in Internet fraud."

Eight of those arrested were carrying false papers and they have been prosecuted. The others were detained and then released unless there were any extra charges against them, the police said in a statement.

In October, Dutch police launched Operation Apollo to fight Internet fraud scams operated by West Africans and notably Nigerians.

The scams involve sending emails all over the world promising recipients quick financial gains from a make-believe inheritance or fictitious lottery wins in exchange for 'processing fees' of several thousand US dollars.

Those who pay up never hear from the supposed organisations again nor see a penny of their promised windfall.

Since Operation Apollo began, police have arrested 80 suspects, most of them from Nigeria, and seized from their homes lists of email addresses, as well as fake documents.

Dutch police believe over 2,000 Internet fraudsters are active in the country.
 

Top Gun

Ninja
Amsterdam arrests=good news

Yah good news!

Dutch police believe over 2,000 Internet fraudsters are active in the country.
This is 2,000 too many but well done law enforcement for these arrests!:cool:
 

Kat

Administrator
Staff member
over 2,000 Internet fraudsters are active in the country
Wonderful news though. 5.5% of the scammers in Holland arrested at one time! Now if they can only get the other 94.5%.
 

Miyuki

Administratrix
Staff member
Some more details

About the arrests in Amsterdam. From Yahoo news.
Sat Jun 16, 6:35 PM ET
THE HAGUE (AFP) - Police in Amsterdam arrested more than 100 West Africans Saturday as part of a seven month long investigation into Internet fraud, they said.

Spokeswoman Sita Koenders told AFP that 111 people were arrested for being in the Netherlands illegally and "now we must investigate in what way they are implicated in Internet fraud."

Eight of those arrested were carrying false papers and they have been prosecuted. The others were detained and then released unless there were any extra charges against them, the police said in a statement.

In October, Dutch police launched Operation Apollo to fight Internet fraud scams operated by West Africans and notably Nigerians.

The scams involve sending emails all over the world promising recipients quick financial gains from a make-believe inheritance or fictitious lottery wins in exchange for 'processing fees' of several thousand dollars.

Those who pay up never hear from the supposed organisations again nor see a penny of their promised windfall.

Since Operation Apollo began, police have arrested 80 suspects, most of them from Nigeria, and seized from their homes lists of email addresses, as well as fake documents.

Dutch police believe over 2,000 Internet fraudsters are active in the country.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070616/tc_afp/netherlandsnigeria
 
Top