United States

The Doctor

Administrator
Staff member
This check was received as part of a lottery scam:
Names used: Swiss Lotto
Mechelle Meyers - Prize Director
Patrick Jones of Oxford Financial Management, a subsidiary of Euro Trust Corporation (main office in Canada!)

usa chk2.jpg

Spidey

Ninja
Cashier's check

After checking with management, it was decided that it's OK to post this check. This is a cashier's check made payable to the victim. The victim then probably sent the money to the scammer. It's a real check used to steal money.
Scammer: Johnson Nomvete (South Africa?)

usa chk5.jpg

Miyuki

Administratrix
Staff member
This is why you don't want to accept a fake or stolen check. Notice the red letters stamped by a bank in the center of the check. "Refer to maker - suspected counterfeit". If you had taken this check, you would be responsible for a USD$ 247,000 loss, and your bank will make you pay for that.

usa chk6.jpg

Nanook

Administrator
Staff member
Another fake one

Scammer: Ebinisi Jaiye
Hopefully the victim did not deposit this check and lose this kind of money.

usa chk12.jpg

Nanook

Administrator
Staff member
Money order

Here's an example of what a scammer might do, just like any other common criminal. Instead of making a fake money order, they will buy a real one for $5.00. They then alter the amount to make it $50 or $500 or $5,000 and send it to you. And you'll see it again because sooner or later it will come back to you. That's why you don't want to ever accept one of these from someone you don't know.

usa chk13.jpg

Quark

Staff member
Here's another check from the US. This features the name of a real US company. The scammer stole the name, the bank account number, and started making fake checks. The company found out what was happening and closed that account. They also spent several thousand dollars redesigning their logo, so effectively, the scammer stole several thousand dollars from the company and almost stole a LOT of money from the victim who received this check.

usa chk14.jpg

Quark

Staff member
I see this guy ^^^ knows nothing about how to make the body/figure match, and he has a problem with "zeros" too.

Sphinx

Administrator
Staff member
When you take a fake check it might come back to you, like this one, with COUNTERFEIT stamped across it by your bank. And then you owe your bank that money. And the scammer is happy because he has yours.

usa chk16.jpg

jollyking

Scams!!

A MONEY GRAM international Cheque.. as i received the cheques without any letter stating what to do with it... i called money gram and asked them if they were valid and you guesed it... they were fake or like the operator said NOT VALID. But there is a "RUB" spot that you can see if it's authentic...

jkmosafe.jpg

Spidey

Ninja
Possibly an actual stolen check. None of the numbers are correct on the check. People who know checks would know this. The scammer must be new at fake check making. That signature really matches the name.....NOT!

usa chk4.jpg

kenrmorse

To add some information to this, my good friend sent her address in response to this exact same email, just to a different email address, in which she received a cashiers check for $2850. I'm in the process of tracking multiple things, one being the email it was sent from (kkelvindaviddec@gmail.com) as well as the validity of the return address on the over-nighted FedEx package that was received. I've attached pictures of the front and back of the check so people know what to look for in the event they do receive a check.

usa chk19.jpg
usa chk20.jpg