Why your stranded traveler email is a fake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Giant

Giant Admin for a Day
Staff member
Assuming that you actually get here to this part, here's some reasons that your email from that poor stranded traveler is fake, aside from the fact that emails like this are ALWAYS a scam.

If you have read about how to identify a scam email (which is here) then in addition to things like bad grammar, poor spelling, even poorer punctuation, the use of free email servers, etc. these are some other things that make a "stranded traveler" format a complete fake.

Many of these scam mails arrive in your inbox because someone you might know has had their email hacked into by a scammer or the scammer has phished the password (see http://antifraudintl.org/threads/phishing-and-pharming.6963/) from your acquaintance. The scammer then uses that person's contact list to send the scam format to everyone on the list. After all, you might know this person so obviously this can't be a scam...except that it always is.

1. "I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu."
There seem to be quite a few people taking impromptu vacations, and to some of the most unlikely places imaginable. Like a war zone. But think about the last vacation you took. How much of your last vacation planning was "impromptu"? Probably none of it. Vacations take time to plan. Impromptu vacation? Forget it. It's a scam. Delete it and don't respond to it.

2. "We misplaced our wallets..."
I always do that. :rolleyes: Odd how none of these people use traveller's checks on these impromptu vacations.

3. "My dear friend...."
Do you actually know this person? Probably not. We often find that someone has hacked into someone else's email account and contacted everyone in that person's address book.

4. "I will be grateful if you can give me loan of $1900.
Or $1800. Always amounts like that. Never $2000.

5. "I can't get any money...."
It's amazing in the 21st Century that people seem to be unable to do this in any way, shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.